|The course offers an overview of digital libraries and the conceptual and practical understanding of digital libraries. The course enables students to understand concepts such as collection development, text, still images, audio and video digitization, metadata, Digital Library Management Systems, digital preservation, evaluation, user needs etc.
- Διδάσκων: Δημήτριος Κουής
Course Description1. Objects and materials: Books, archival
material, film, magnetic and optical media. Paper, leather, parchment,
inks, audio records, magnetic tapes, films, photographs, digital
2. Causes and mechanisms of deterioration of paper, books and archival material. Chemical, mechanical and biological decay.
3. Paper, book and archival material conservation methods. Conservation, restoration, preservation.
4. Preservation in libraries and archives. Preservation planning. Risk assessment and management. Storage guidelines.
5. Principles and best practices in digitization of books and archival material.
Learning OutcomesThe students will be able to understand
the preservation needs of an information organization, implement
preservation strategies for the safekeeping and protection of its
material and compile a preservation master-plan. They will also be able
to manage -from the non-technical perspective- the conservation
activities and integrate them to the preservation master-plan.
- Διδάσκων: Spiros Zervos